Friday, January 14, 2011

How into your characters are you?

Hello my friends,

I was driving home today and singing to Linkin Park (yes, I listen to LP) and thinking about Grey's Anatomy. If you are a McDreamy and McSteamy fan and haven't seen the latest episode then come back to read this after you have seen it. **SPOILER ALERT** So Torres is prego with McSteamy's baby and I was guessing the upcoming plot twists related to that. Then, for whatever reason I thought about how Shonda Rimes, GA writer, must be super into her characters to come up with extraordinary plots.

It was at this point, I passed a chocolate distributor and thought, "mmmm....chocolate," before turning my attention back to the road and my thought process. I wondered if I would have it in me to keep the plot going if Rules of Vegas was ever turned into a television series. I would imagine if I really stretched it, I could get two or three seasons out of the first book. Essentially, if I carried out all my ideas from my trilogy concept for these characters then I could make a hearty 8-9 seasons of television.

Upon turning on to the main road to take me to my street, I immediately decided that Anne, Andy, and Mark are too good for television. They would lose their magic as characters. While I love Grey's Anatomy, there were two seasons that almost made me stop watching altogether. I wouldn't want that to happen to my beloved characters. This leads me to my original question that perhaps I do have what it takes to write season after season of solid television material. However, it is not a talent I wish to explore. I would rather work on my computer hacking or secret agent prowess.

And because I know you were wondering, when I turned onto my street I thought my neighbors children were feeding a deer, but it ended up being their dog playing in the snow. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment