As you know, I have two jobs at the moment. The full-time one is in my field and the part-time job is in retail. While there are major pros and cons to the part-time job, I left very angry the other night and it only fueled my desire more to find a permanent full-time job. Jokingly at some point the other evening I said, "I'm smart, I have a Master's degree." I wouldn't dream of saying this seriously to anyone because that is rather narcissitic and big-headed. However, in retail, you are to have no identity and I have been threatened with a warning if I ever speak of my education again.
"Excuse me (insert name of person who complained whoever they may be), I spent nearly a quarter of my life-time in college to earn that degree and last time I checked, you can't take away my education," is what I would like to say to them. After all, it's not like I told a customer they fat in the dress they wanted to purchase. Anyway, I have to admit that this really hurt me because my education is a part of me. It would be like writing Andy without his passion for all things sex related or Anne without her value of friendship. Kim Zylinski doesn't exist without her education.
I may start to have an identity crisis at my part-time job. I'm open for suggestions as to how to avoid a meltdown on the sales floor. What am I to say if someone notices my Duquesne ring? I suppose I could have some fun with it like "I bought it off of Ebay" or "It's actually a knock-off." I think the latter would be place me in some hot water with Duquesne at that point as their ring is one of the most recognizable in the country. Feel free to float out your ideas.
Friday, February 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment