Wednesday, August 25, 2010

And the search continues...

As depressing as it may sound, I have kept track of every job I have applied to since November 2009. Why? I find it helpful because sometimes on monster.com the jobs resurface under different titles and I would feel like a fool for applying to the same job twice. Sadly, many of the places I apply never acknowledge me as is the case when job hunting like it's your job.

I feel that resumes should include what you could literally bring to the office. For example, Kimberly A. Zylinski, Master of Science in Education for School Counseling, can bake awesome brownies or cookies for office parties. Let's face it, nothing draws a crowd like free food and if it's delicious then you might as well shut down the whole office for twenty minutes to serve everyone in line for it. Conversely, nothing scatters people away like disgusting food. There is always that one person who brings in candy that has been sitting in its wrapper too long and tries pressing it upon anyone who walks by their desk.

Anyway, my job search tooking an interesting turn today, which to me seems pretty ominous considering I was chatting about faith and trust the other day, with my name being turned into a large international corporation to be a writer for their in-house newsletters and magazines. Granted I'm one of one hundred candidates to get my name thrown in, but the idea of writing full-time had some appeal today. While I don't have my foot in the door yet, this exciting new opportunity gives me hope. I still would love to be a school counselor, but I am slowly making my peace with the fact that it may not happen for me. I am educated and no one can take that away from me and more than anything, I just want to have a meaningful career.

No comments:

Post a Comment